A Course in Mastering the Art of Mixing Colors
Millions of people have learned to draw using the methods of Dr. Betty Edwards’s bestseller The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. Now, much as artists progress from drawing to painting, Edwards moves from black-and-white into color. This much-awaited new guide distills the enormous existing knowledge about color theory into a practical method of working with color to produce harmonious combinations.
Using techniques tested and honed in her five-day intensive color workshops, Edwards provides a basic understanding of how to see color, how to use it, and-for those involved in art, painting, or design-how to mix and combine hues. Including more than 125 color images and exercises that move from simple to challenging, this volume explains how to:
- see what is really there rather than what you “know” in your mind about colored objects
- perceive how light affects color, and how colors affect one another
- manipulate hue, value, and intensity of color and transform colors into their opposites
- balance color in still-life, landscape, figure, and portrait painting
- understand the psychology of color
- harmonize color in your surroundings
While we recognize and treasure the beautiful use of color, reproducing what we see can be a challenge. Accessibly unweaving color’s complexity, this must-have primer is destined to be an instant classic.
Also, from Betty Edwards:
- Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain: The Definitive, 4th Edition
- Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain Workbook: The Definitive, Updated 2nd Edition
- Drawing on the Artist Within: An Inspirational and Practical Guide to Increasing Your Creative Powers
- The Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain Starter Kit